Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Moving is such Fun!

If you can't hear the sarcasm in the title, please let me try again:
Moving is such FUN! :D :D :D

It's not the relocation that's the problem; I'm actually looking forward to that. I know Ft. Irwin is small and in the middle of nowhere, but at least it's close enough to big cities and parks and things so that you might not feel quite so isolated. I mean, yes, it's quite out there, but you can get to a lot of places for a good day trip. A lot of things to take advantage of within easy distance. I know I said that about Greenville, too, but the people are a bit different on a military base than in smaller-city South Carolina. And everything I've heard about the Ft. Irwin community is positive - you're all in the same boat, so the community is very supportive as a result. And there's always the added bonus of getting me out of Horrid Job here in Greenville! :)

It's the actual process of moving that's starting to get to me now. I'm in my last 2 weeks here in SC, and it feels like there are 8 million things to do, with time to do about 6. Not 6 million... 6. Yeah.... not a fun feeling. I am trying to get things sorted and cleaned up and cleaned out, get travel arrangements lined up, prepare for leaving this job and starting a new one... Quite a to-do list. And to make things even worse, my stupid response to to-do lists like this is a crushing, paralyzing sort of feeling. I struggle against it and get maybe 2 things done, but can't get over the feelining like I'm climbing Everest. Bah! At least I can recognize it for what it is, and not just get lost in the wallowing. :\

Doesn't help, either, that it's an Army move. It's so hard for Zach and I to get answers to questions when I can do so little to help. We still are in separate houses, with him finishing up training in Columbia, and me still here in Greenville. With Columbia being the military area and Greenville definitely not being one, it's very hard for me to help Zach get questions answered. He can actually stop by offices to pester people. Of course, that doesn't mean he gets helpful answers, either. They seem to have the biggest hang-up over moving from 2 locations. Don't seem to get that we just got married and haven't combined households yet - that doesn't mean it's not his stuff!!

Just have to take deep breaths and keep pluggin' away. Sort, sort, pack, pack... It'll all be over in a couple weeks - by March 22, we'll be out in CA!

No comments: