Lovely little birds :) And, as you can see, a recurring theme in the blog.
As I explained way back when, I've liked penguins for a while now. My user name on a lot of sites (Ravelry and Flickr included) is a reference to the Tacky the Penguin series - "Tacky was an odd bird, but a very nice bird to have around." As a result, the user avatars (or Ravatars, as the case may be) are often penguin related. Like the one below, used last year on Ravelry to celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day :)
It all started way back in high school. My swim team outside of school was abbreviated TAC (pronounced "tack"). After seeing us all practicing in drag suits and tights and the likes (serious swimmer stuff - don't ask), my dad commented that it should be TAC-ky, not just TAC. At about the same time we had discovered Helen Lester's book Tacky the Penguin. One thing lead to another, and I was eventually gifted a small beanie penguin as a good luck mascot for my swim bag. Still have the little guy, actually :)
As time went on, my time in the pool lessened some, but I started running more. In running and reading about running, I discovered John Bingham's column. John "The Penguin" Bingham, as he is known in running circles. Hysterical columnist who writes from a beginner/slower runner's point of view. I.e., the penguin, not the gazelle. It's the person who runs for fun, for enjoyment, not necessarily for speed. As he says, "waddle on, friends!"
So, suddenly, another penguin reference to my life! I especially relate to it, as am solidly on the penguin end of the spectrum, but married to one on the gazelle end.
And as a random penguin reference, have you heard Brad Paisley's Christmas song, "Penguin, James Penguin"? I mentioned it a few years ago, when I first heard it. Been almost two years now, and it still cracks me up. :)
Like a well dressed duck in a 3-piece tux...
And just for the record, I'd love her job :)
As I explained way back when, I've liked penguins for a while now. My user name on a lot of sites (Ravelry and Flickr included) is a reference to the Tacky the Penguin series - "Tacky was an odd bird, but a very nice bird to have around." As a result, the user avatars (or Ravatars, as the case may be) are often penguin related. Like the one below, used last year on Ravelry to celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day :)
It all started way back in high school. My swim team outside of school was abbreviated TAC (pronounced "tack"). After seeing us all practicing in drag suits and tights and the likes (serious swimmer stuff - don't ask), my dad commented that it should be TAC-ky, not just TAC. At about the same time we had discovered Helen Lester's book Tacky the Penguin. One thing lead to another, and I was eventually gifted a small beanie penguin as a good luck mascot for my swim bag. Still have the little guy, actually :)
As time went on, my time in the pool lessened some, but I started running more. In running and reading about running, I discovered John Bingham's column. John "The Penguin" Bingham, as he is known in running circles. Hysterical columnist who writes from a beginner/slower runner's point of view. I.e., the penguin, not the gazelle. It's the person who runs for fun, for enjoyment, not necessarily for speed. As he says, "waddle on, friends!"
So, suddenly, another penguin reference to my life! I especially relate to it, as am solidly on the penguin end of the spectrum, but married to one on the gazelle end.
And as a random penguin reference, have you heard Brad Paisley's Christmas song, "Penguin, James Penguin"? I mentioned it a few years ago, when I first heard it. Been almost two years now, and it still cracks me up. :)
Like a well dressed duck in a 3-piece tux...
And just for the record, I'd love her job :)

No comments:
Post a Comment