Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A FO!!

Finally!! Shetland Shorty is complete!

Shetland Shorty - 3/4 view

I started this way back in March, I think. It flew along so quickly, until summer started. And then all motivation to pick up my needles ended as work picked up it's pace to it's usual seasonal insanity. I just had about 4 months of being too tired to think about even basic stockinette, let alone picking up as many stitches as I had on that sweater. (Yes, the part that I did get stalled at was almost to the end - picking up all the stitches for the trim along the sleeves, front and collar)

Enter Knit Nights! I think that's the the only reason I was able to sit down and concentrate long enough to get all those stitches on my needles. Crazy work hours do take it out of you! Silly thing is, once all those stitches are picked up, it's less than 15 rows until you're totally done with the sweater!! I was stalled on the home stretch! So, I brought it with me to VA earlier this month as I'd finally finished all the trim sections of it and just had the weaving in of ends left. And, sitting down and chatting with family over the visit gave me the opportunity to finish!

So, ta-da! Here it is!

Shetland Shorty - back view Shetland Shorty - front view

I really like this pattern. It was really easy to get into my hands, and (aside from the long ties and trim) went very quickly. The final piece's very comfortable, and very cute too! It's one of those nice shrugs, just enough warmth to keep the shoulders from getting chilled in an overly air-conditioned building. Love it.

I didn't use the recommended yarn, but used Lion Brand Magic Stripes instead, a little bit heavier yarn. I adjusted with the next size down then (S for me, instead of M), and it fits beautifully. The stretchiness of the pattern itself helps with any adjustment if the exchange wasn't an exact equivalent. I used just under two skeins, if you're interested in yardage. Nice thing about using sock yarn, too, it that this is washable, since I can see myself wearing it regularly :)

No comments: