I have a camera cord again! Huzzah!
So, to catch you all up pictorially with the goings-on the last two weeks, here goes.
Lots of packing up, loaded it all into cars, then went south to FL to visit family before heading west. In FL, tried to see as much family as possible, and even had a day down at Mandalay (grandparents' place down on the river in the FL panhandle). Zach became truly one of the family, spending much of the afternoon at Mandalay in the hammock, and having the chance to drive the Whaler, too, as we went out to the Flats. Saw 3 active osprey nests, so that's a good sign for the summer too. :)
In TX we stopped first in Houston to visit more family. Figured we weren't going to be heading that way again anytime soon, so better try and see as many folk as possible, right?
From Houston, we had a VERY long drive across TX. Western TX is a horrible drive. Very flat, very brown, very boring, and very endless.
AZ and NM were brown and desert-y too, but they were much more scenic, so the drive wasn't that bad. And I felt like such a little tourist, because I was giggly-excited over seeing saguaro cacti for the first time! :) They really are cool looking though!
Finally getting to CA was stressful, honestly. I've grown up on the coast, and the east coast at that. Arriving in the middle of the SoCal desert was about as different an environment as you can get, and still stay in the same country. :) More on my impressions of the post and the new place later. For now, I've got to get back to unpacking. It's very exciting - actually starting to look like a home!
From Houston, we had a VERY long drive across TX. Western TX is a horrible drive. Very flat, very brown, very boring, and very endless.
AZ and NM were brown and desert-y too, but they were much more scenic, so the drive wasn't that bad. And I felt like such a little tourist, because I was giggly-excited over seeing saguaro cacti for the first time! :) They really are cool looking though!
Finally getting to CA was stressful, honestly. I've grown up on the coast, and the east coast at that. Arriving in the middle of the SoCal desert was about as different an environment as you can get, and still stay in the same country. :) More on my impressions of the post and the new place later. For now, I've got to get back to unpacking. It's very exciting - actually starting to look like a home!

No comments:
Post a Comment