No, I'm not a big gardener. I have mixed luck in keeping plants alive. For starters, I inherited a lighter version of my mother's black thumb (sorry, Mom, but you know it's true!) Next, I have a bunny (my African violet survived 2 very healthy years, before Joey figured out how to knock it off the shelf and eat all the leaves off!). For thirds, I live in the desert. Few things grow here, and fewer things grow well.
The reason I chose flowers, is that after living someplace like this, where I am learning all the subtle shades of "brown" possible, when we travel, I notice color so much more. As we drive closer to the coast, for example, I notice as the surroundings become greener, and the flashes of color as we pass wildflowers and gardens. The colors just seem so much brighter after being surrounded by so much brown for so long. I find myself trying to capture more flowers on film than I did back east. Like the picture above, from the gardens at the mission at San Juan Capistrano. I still tried to take flower pictures back east too, but I didn't feel the pressing need to try and bring color back with me when I came back from visiting wherever I was. I definitely feel it here.
We do have flowers here, though - they are just small and shorter seasons than back east. There are small yellow and purple things in bloom now, and when we moved here last year there were pale pink tissue-paper-like flowers in bloom (like below). Judging by weather, we should be getting those in bloom again soon. I hope so - they were all up and down our street, actually gave the place some color, some life! It's just interesting the things you start noticing and appreciating when you find yourself in an area that doesn't have them.
The reason I chose flowers, is that after living someplace like this, where I am learning all the subtle shades of "brown" possible, when we travel, I notice color so much more. As we drive closer to the coast, for example, I notice as the surroundings become greener, and the flashes of color as we pass wildflowers and gardens. The colors just seem so much brighter after being surrounded by so much brown for so long. I find myself trying to capture more flowers on film than I did back east. Like the picture above, from the gardens at the mission at San Juan Capistrano. I still tried to take flower pictures back east too, but I didn't feel the pressing need to try and bring color back with me when I came back from visiting wherever I was. I definitely feel it here.
We do have flowers here, though - they are just small and shorter seasons than back east. There are small yellow and purple things in bloom now, and when we moved here last year there were pale pink tissue-paper-like flowers in bloom (like below). Judging by weather, we should be getting those in bloom again soon. I hope so - they were all up and down our street, actually gave the place some color, some life! It's just interesting the things you start noticing and appreciating when you find yourself in an area that doesn't have them.

1 comment:
That pink flower looks like it might be a globe mallow but I can't tell for sure. Whatever it is, it's very pretty.
Post a Comment