Beaded stitch markers! I'm not into beading so much for it's own sake (probably not gonna start making my own jewelry or anything - just don't wear enough) but there are a lot of cute little beads out there, and beaded markers are certainly SO much cuter than the plain little plastic rings. But rather than pay bunches of money for a set of 6, I'd rather learn how to do it myself and have plenty for gifts and swaps instead :)
3 styles:
For all 3 styles, I am giving you the website where I found the original instructions, and all my photos and comments. I claim no credit for any of these patterns, just my own notes, pictures and other clarification. I've included a lot of other blogs and websites which had instructions too, if you're looking for more clarification or more pictures for ideas. These folk all did wonderful jobs providing the original instructions, and deserve all the credit. I know there are more instructions out there (a quick Google search will turn up bunches), but these are the ones I used for reference and inspiration.
Ring
About as basic as you get :) Found instructions at Okay Knits blog, and a few more pictures at Knitting-Warehouse.
Open jump ring. Slide on bead. Close jump ring. Position bead over opening to jump ring and superglue in place. Ta da! About as simple as it gets :)
Practice on non-shiny or iridescent beads at first, because you don't see the superglue smears on the bead. Once you get more accurate with your superglue application (took me a couple times to not superglue the bead to my finger) the shiny beads are fine too.
Make sure the bead isn't too big or awkward for the size jump ring you're using. That's one I learned the hard way! This bead works alright, but if it had been this length but long and thin instead of round (for example), then it would have been harder positioning the bead.
Hanging
For these, I got most of my instruction and inspiration from Wormspit.com (a blogger who, as you might imagine, loves silk). Most of the instructions online use regular jump rings or split rings (like small key chain rings) but if you work with lots of snag-able yarns and want your rings snag-free, you can use soldered jump rings (available for sale - I found mine at Oriental Trading Comany, size 8mm, so they fit up to US 9 needles) or solder your jump rings closed when you are finished beading them. There are other patterns online for snag-free stitch markers, most using thread or beading wire and no jump ring at all, but my personal preference, just didn't like the look of those as much.


Yes, I made lots of carrot markers (there are 8 of each color, if you count) because I already have cute bunny markers which they coordinate well with (see the other picture?), and I have a Clapotis planned this year, which needs about 18 stitch markers to mark the dropped stitches. And let's be honest, I like things to match :) And since the carrot beads were about 25 for $1 on a post-Easter sale, I think I could splurge to make lots of little carrots for my bunnies. And an extra bonus, my Clapotis will be in a tonal shaded purple yarn, so the orange carrots will look lovely with the purple yarn!
Other examples:
Removable
Knitting for Charity's website was the first one I saw which suggested using leverback earrings instead of a jump ring in order to have removable stitch markers. This makes a nice stitch marker for crochet or knitting, if you want to attach the marker to the stitch instead of the needles. As a bonus, though, these earrings are big enough for my smaller needles to slide through, so they can be used either way, really :) The beading part of this one is the same as above, just attaching to the earring piece, not to a jump ring. The downside to this style of marker is that the loop on the earring piece can be weaker, so if you apply too much force as you are wrapping the wire, you can pop that ring. On these, it can be pressed back into place and then secured with a bit of soldering, if you are a crafty house like ours and have a soldering iron of your own.
Other examples:
3 styles:
For all 3 styles, I am giving you the website where I found the original instructions, and all my photos and comments. I claim no credit for any of these patterns, just my own notes, pictures and other clarification. I've included a lot of other blogs and websites which had instructions too, if you're looking for more clarification or more pictures for ideas. These folk all did wonderful jobs providing the original instructions, and deserve all the credit. I know there are more instructions out there (a quick Google search will turn up bunches), but these are the ones I used for reference and inspiration.
Ring
About as basic as you get :) Found instructions at Okay Knits blog, and a few more pictures at Knitting-Warehouse.
Open jump ring. Slide on bead. Close jump ring. Position bead over opening to jump ring and superglue in place. Ta da! About as simple as it gets :)
Practice on non-shiny or iridescent beads at first, because you don't see the superglue smears on the bead. Once you get more accurate with your superglue application (took me a couple times to not superglue the bead to my finger) the shiny beads are fine too.
Make sure the bead isn't too big or awkward for the size jump ring you're using. That's one I learned the hard way! This bead works alright, but if it had been this length but long and thin instead of round (for example), then it would have been harder positioning the bead.
Hanging
For these, I got most of my instruction and inspiration from Wormspit.com (a blogger who, as you might imagine, loves silk). Most of the instructions online use regular jump rings or split rings (like small key chain rings) but if you work with lots of snag-able yarns and want your rings snag-free, you can use soldered jump rings (available for sale - I found mine at Oriental Trading Comany, size 8mm, so they fit up to US 9 needles) or solder your jump rings closed when you are finished beading them. There are other patterns online for snag-free stitch markers, most using thread or beading wire and no jump ring at all, but my personal preference, just didn't like the look of those as much.
I was finding that it was easiest to wrap the wire by holding the marker with the needle-nose pliers close the jump ring and wrapping the wire with my finger. A thimble helped sometimes. Then switch hands and hold the jump ring and top of marker in my hand and press the end of the wire into place with the pliers. Trying to wrap the wire with the pliers like was shown in some of the directions online is probably easier on your fingers, but was a bit too fiddly for my level of expertise. Using a thimble and my finger was easier for me.
Yes, I made lots of carrot markers (there are 8 of each color, if you count) because I already have cute bunny markers which they coordinate well with (see the other picture?), and I have a Clapotis planned this year, which needs about 18 stitch markers to mark the dropped stitches. And let's be honest, I like things to match :) And since the carrot beads were about 25 for $1 on a post-Easter sale, I think I could splurge to make lots of little carrots for my bunnies. And an extra bonus, my Clapotis will be in a tonal shaded purple yarn, so the orange carrots will look lovely with the purple yarn!
Other examples:
- Shiny Knits at her blog
- YarnGarn at hers
- CJ's Knitting Basket also has lots of good pictures.
- About.com's knitting page.
- Lee Meredith at Threadbanger uses paperclips instead of jump rings and pins, if you're looking for a cheap alternative to jewelry findings.
- Loxosceles has a different way of attaching the beaded bit of wire to the jump ring, if you're looking for something different
- Susan Beal at Craftstylish even provided a video in her instructions.
- Another video (dealing with jump rings especially) is over at KnitSpirit, the blog of Raveler IvyR.
- The blog over at Spindle and Wheel has fancier ones than mine, if you're feeling motivated, or have lots of beads lying around.
- Stuff Knitters Want and Gotta Have (very appropriately named) has instructions on little beaded angels, and for making your own clay beads as well.
- For more inspiration, I also like the flowers shown here in Peggy Hazelwood's eHow article.
Removable
Knitting for Charity's website was the first one I saw which suggested using leverback earrings instead of a jump ring in order to have removable stitch markers. This makes a nice stitch marker for crochet or knitting, if you want to attach the marker to the stitch instead of the needles. As a bonus, though, these earrings are big enough for my smaller needles to slide through, so they can be used either way, really :) The beading part of this one is the same as above, just attaching to the earring piece, not to a jump ring. The downside to this style of marker is that the loop on the earring piece can be weaker, so if you apply too much force as you are wrapping the wire, you can pop that ring. On these, it can be pressed back into place and then secured with a bit of soldering, if you are a crafty house like ours and have a soldering iron of your own.
Other examples:
- HookandNeedles has very clear pictures of the finished stitch markers.
- CrochetMe does as well, but uses lobster claw clasps instead of the earring backs. Same idea, still nice and removable, I just liked the earrings instead - not quite as heavy :)
- Another removable option, shown here on Instructables, shows a different type of attachment (I think they called them S-hooks?)

No comments:
Post a Comment