Wednesday, February 3, 2010

New Toys!

I have new running toys :) Well, some of them aren't so new, but I'm finally getting the chance to use them (between crazy work schedules and ungodly heat, I don't run so much in the summer here). Part of why the weight crept up during our first year here! Was running really regularly in SC, and then kinda fell off the wagon for a while once we moved out here. It's hard running in the desert!!! Hot and dry, or windy and dry. Sometimes the weather's actually nice, but still DRY DRY DRY. Can you tell I don't like running without at least some humidity? It just makes it so hard to breathe. Running the marathon in San Diego last year, I actually had less trouble breathing than I do on an average 3 mile run here in the High Desert.

Anyway, have been doing better this fall at being active, and reconfirmed my resolution at New Year's time. Have already registered for the half marathon over at Lake Mead at St Pat's weekend, so just gotta stick to it!

So, several little toys to make it easier and/or more enjoyable to get out and get running. First up, my waist belt. Didn't think I'd ever be one of the runners with one of these, but on long runs here in the desert (really, anything over 3 miles), I definitely need to carry water with me. And the little pouch holds a few gel packs for those long runs when I'm training for a long race. I love that it doesn't bounce around as I'm running, even as the water bottle gets emptier. And unlike some of my other gear, it's definitely a feminine pattern (just look at those cute little flowers!) so it means Zach won't be running off with it :)

running belt

My other running bottle holder is a hand-held affair. It has a pocket that is the perfect size for my phone! Didn't realize that when I bought it, but it was an unexpected bonus!

Thinking of my phone, it has turned into a running toy as well! It has a pretty decent little camera on it, so I'm able to take pictures of pretty little sights on my running routes, should I chance upon any (like the one below, actually!). And being a Blackberry, you can load applications on it... like Pandora! For those who don't know, Pandora is a free online radio station, where you can build your own stations based on genre, artist, song, etc. I stumbled across it back in SC, for those days when I was cubicle-bound writing reports, and have built up several stations that I enjoy very much. With it available on my phone as well, I have expanded my listening-at-my-desk station list to include a few workout stations as well. So, in one handy device, I have phone, camera and music to run with!

sunset from Mt Blackie

And then there is my headlight! Don't get to use this much in the summer, since we have so much sunshine, but in the winter (when it's dark by 4:30 or 5) this helps me get out for a run despite the dusk or darkness. I got mine at Greater Good (the Animal Rescue Site side, if I remember correctly). They have pink ones too! It's great, works exactly as I'd hoped. We have a pretty nice trail running through housing on post, and though it's nice and protected from traffic, it's not exactly smooth and flat, with all the tree roots and drainage-ways and all crossing it. The headlight is just enough to let me see where I'm putting my feet, so I don't trip and fall flat on my face.

The most recent toy (just this weekend!) is my Runner's Companion. Free pattern on Ravelry! Very quick project, just what I needed. I think I finished this in a Knit Night and two movies! I used less than ball of Cascade Fixation (probably less than half a ball, even). However much I used, I have enough left over to make a headband. Keep the curls out of my face when I cut it short again. Thinking the Provence Headband from Classic Elite Yarns. Anyway, the cotton-elastic blend is really nice for this - can wipe your face easily, but it has enough stretch to stay in place. Much more breathable than my neoprene armbands too, so much more comfortable to workout with. My arm was in-between the two smaller sizes, so I went up a needle size (US 5, not 4) and made the smaller size. Works well. I like that this fits on the lower part of the arm, too, instead of the upper like most armbands. I can see the screen and can change songs and all, so that helps, and it fits nicely under a jacket or sweatshirt. Can wear it and run the headphones wire through the sleeve to the collar (keeps me from catching the wire as it flops around as I run - have been known to pull the headphones out of my ear as I run because of that!). Yes, definitely like this pattern. Will probably make more, for laundry days, since I'm sure these will get sweaty when we move someplace that has humidity again! Gives me a chance to play with cable patterns too! :)

Runner's Companion Runner's Companion

And as a side note, it's really hard to take a picture you your own arm!

No comments: