So, being out here in the middle of nowhere, I've had lots of time to read and to watch movies since arriving out here. Not to much else to do in an evening, unless you like listening to Redneck Neighbor's 3 dumb dogs barking their heads off out back. Which, in case you hadn't guessed, we're not too fond of. As a result, over the past few weeks I've had a chance to read some new books, and to see some movies I hadn't before. So, I figured I'd share what I thought with you all.
First up, the most recent I've seen: The Bank Job.
Summary according to Netflix: Based on a true 1971 event, this thriller tells the story of Terry (Jason Statham), a car dealer who becomes involved in a London bank heist only to find that the contents of the bank vault will draw him deeply and irrevocably into the city's criminal underbelly. Murder and scandal abound in this tale of corruption populated with a surprising mix of offenders, from low-level thugs to government officials and all the way up to the royal family.
I liked it. I have a weakness for a good heist film, and this one didn't disappoint. It's not a thinking film, but it is a good caper film, a perfect "Saturday afternoon popcorn flick," if you know what I mean. The story is more about what happens after the heist, than about the theft itself. The seemingly-simple job draws them into a corrupt mess, ticking off a lot of ruthless people in the process. The actual heist in the beginning is only one small part of the movie, and is told in a much lighter tone than what follows, as the movie does get rather dark as things fall apart around our band of villains. Not for the easily offended, as there is a good bit of T&A (what do you think those damning pictures are of, anyway?) and some scenes of torture and of murder when things go awry. Thankfully, happy endings (or at least very satisfactory ones) abound by the end of the movie, as should be in any caper film.
Jason Statham is fine in the lead, as he doesn't really have to do much emoting. Love Jason Statham movies, but do have to admit he does have a niche character carved out for himself. The important thing is to look perplexed, tough, and determined to overcome the disaster that's befallen you. And he does that well, so who am I to complain? :)
Finally, the British TV dork in me loved identifying so many actors in the movie from the British shows (particularly mysteries) that I've been watching them in for years. Always nice to see actors I like at work, and I always like the feeling of satisfaction that I've recognized an actor, even if the other things I've seen them in are 20 years old :) For example, the man who plays Maj. Singer in The Bank Job is the man who played Stapleton in the Jeremy Brett version of The Hound of the Baskervilles. And Michael X's lawyer in the very beginning (very bit part!) is Julian Firth, who played Brother Jerome in the Cadfael mysteries. Finally, David Suchet (TV's Poirot) played the part of Lew Vogel, "the Porn king of Soho"! Always does catch me off guard when he uses his own accent :) Yes, I know, I'm a dork.
Overall, I'd say 3.5 of 5 stars. A good movie, I don't feel like I wasted my time or that any brain cells died in screaming agony, but not an Oscar contender. Would definitely see it again.
First up, the most recent I've seen: The Bank Job.
Summary according to Netflix: Based on a true 1971 event, this thriller tells the story of Terry (Jason Statham), a car dealer who becomes involved in a London bank heist only to find that the contents of the bank vault will draw him deeply and irrevocably into the city's criminal underbelly. Murder and scandal abound in this tale of corruption populated with a surprising mix of offenders, from low-level thugs to government officials and all the way up to the royal family.
I liked it. I have a weakness for a good heist film, and this one didn't disappoint. It's not a thinking film, but it is a good caper film, a perfect "Saturday afternoon popcorn flick," if you know what I mean. The story is more about what happens after the heist, than about the theft itself. The seemingly-simple job draws them into a corrupt mess, ticking off a lot of ruthless people in the process. The actual heist in the beginning is only one small part of the movie, and is told in a much lighter tone than what follows, as the movie does get rather dark as things fall apart around our band of villains. Not for the easily offended, as there is a good bit of T&A (what do you think those damning pictures are of, anyway?) and some scenes of torture and of murder when things go awry. Thankfully, happy endings (or at least very satisfactory ones) abound by the end of the movie, as should be in any caper film.
Jason Statham is fine in the lead, as he doesn't really have to do much emoting. Love Jason Statham movies, but do have to admit he does have a niche character carved out for himself. The important thing is to look perplexed, tough, and determined to overcome the disaster that's befallen you. And he does that well, so who am I to complain? :)
Finally, the British TV dork in me loved identifying so many actors in the movie from the British shows (particularly mysteries) that I've been watching them in for years. Always nice to see actors I like at work, and I always like the feeling of satisfaction that I've recognized an actor, even if the other things I've seen them in are 20 years old :) For example, the man who plays Maj. Singer in The Bank Job is the man who played Stapleton in the Jeremy Brett version of The Hound of the Baskervilles. And Michael X's lawyer in the very beginning (very bit part!) is Julian Firth, who played Brother Jerome in the Cadfael mysteries. Finally, David Suchet (TV's Poirot) played the part of Lew Vogel, "the Porn king of Soho"! Always does catch me off guard when he uses his own accent :) Yes, I know, I'm a dork.
Overall, I'd say 3.5 of 5 stars. A good movie, I don't feel like I wasted my time or that any brain cells died in screaming agony, but not an Oscar contender. Would definitely see it again.

No comments:
Post a Comment