I've finally joined Facebook. (sigh....). I know, I put it off for so long, but after about 4 or 5 friends made comments about it within a very short time frame, I figured I might as well. And I feel so stupid, because I actually don't really like it! I've been playing around with it a lot, over the last few days, and actually had a chance to see some of the applications, etc. Isn't it supposed to be the be-all-end-all of keeping in touch with people? I dunno....
At least, I've thought about what I don't like. As with Horrible Job, I'm trying to be rational about saying I don't like something, trying to figure out why I don't like that something. A sign of me growing up, maybe :) So here goes:
Also, there is (drum roll, please) the BEST sets of maps and map games on there as applications. Yes, I know, I'm a dork :) The map module is really nice, because it's based on Google Maps, so it's be cities (and in some cases, neighborhoods), instead of just states or countries. Gives a much more fun picture of how much traveling you've been doing! :) The map game is awesome trivia! Like Freerice, it's a completely simple, addicting game, just sucks you right in, but you still feel like you're learning something! Like capitals and major cities in Africa, or city nicknames in the US - cool stuff, for little map dorks like us! Zach has watched me play on them in the evenings the past few days, and it's really funny to watch his face as he's trying to figure out of the fun map games are worth breaking down and getting a Facebook account ;)
So, yes... that's been my latest step into the new millennium... and I'm not quite sure if it lives up to the hype yet...
At least, I've thought about what I don't like. As with Horrible Job, I'm trying to be rational about saying I don't like something, trying to figure out why I don't like that something. A sign of me growing up, maybe :) So here goes:
- I don't like a lot of the 'friends-just-to-have-friends' mentality. I haven't kept in touch with a lot of these people for years (some since high school, so almost 8 years now) so why is that going to change now? If I haven't kept in touch with you for 4 or 5 or 10 years, then I probably don't really care what you're up to now! And, yes, it is good for keeping in touch with people, but that doesn't mean I want EVERYone to keep up with me. (like I said - antisocial as ever!) I want to keep in touch with people that actually mean something to me, y'know? I don't want to end up on their Friend list just so that the have 2001 people instead of 2000 listed there.
- There are actually a lot of the bits and bobbles and application-things that are downright OBNOXIOUS! And I can't figure out how to make it go away from my page!! Why am I going to waste my time messing around with something that's irritating the heck out of me!? It's little things that you can't turn on or off, or all the little News Feeds - I really don't care about someone changing their profile picture, or adding a new group, or watching a new movie on Netflix, so why do I need it there on the page? I guess it's just another sign of me having different priorities for what I'm looking for in a site than other people, maybe?
- And let me just say, the Stitchmarker, or whatever that craft page application was called, is just a poor man's Ravelry. :)
Also, there is (drum roll, please) the BEST sets of maps and map games on there as applications. Yes, I know, I'm a dork :) The map module is really nice, because it's based on Google Maps, so it's be cities (and in some cases, neighborhoods), instead of just states or countries. Gives a much more fun picture of how much traveling you've been doing! :) The map game is awesome trivia! Like Freerice, it's a completely simple, addicting game, just sucks you right in, but you still feel like you're learning something! Like capitals and major cities in Africa, or city nicknames in the US - cool stuff, for little map dorks like us! Zach has watched me play on them in the evenings the past few days, and it's really funny to watch his face as he's trying to figure out of the fun map games are worth breaking down and getting a Facebook account ;)
So, yes... that's been my latest step into the new millennium... and I'm not quite sure if it lives up to the hype yet...

1 comment:
You have found the secret to Facebook: it's a bunch of annoying garbage until that person you hung out with on your study abroad trip four years ago tracks you down. :) That is why I keep my account... and to spam lots of people with notices whenever I am part of an event (band concerts, karate demos, etc)
Post a Comment