Thursday, May 30, 2013

A pair of finished knitting projects

Two scarves to chatter about here.  Both finished last year, one all the way back in January, and I'm only now getting around to posting on it.  The other was knocked out later in the year while I was sick and spending a lot of time on the couch.  Both are finally getting noted now.

scarves blocking
The first one was begun as we were travelling at the holidays and I needed a mindless project during all those hours of driving.  This suited the need perfectly.  The pattern is But I'm Biased by Kate D'Ettore, available as a free Ravelry download or on her blog.  It's one of those lovely, uncomplicated patterns where you just keep knitting until you run out of yarn, and then Ta-Da: lovely scarf!  And with only two rows to memorize, it made for wonderful in-the-car knitting.

Squishy Scarf

The yarn is Malabrigo Rios, color Candombe.  The color reminds me of woods and dusk and other lovely things, all blues and greens and purples with touches of brown and light blues.  As we all know, "mmmmm, Malabrigo!"  Yes, it is as wonderful to work with as it's reputed to be.  The resulting scarf is delightfully soft and squishy and warm.  I only bought one skein at the Yarn Crawl in Oct, planning a simple one-skein scarf for myself as a treat.  This worked perfectly.

It's raveled here.
A required Kitty Helping shot.  Anytime I'm blocking something, Scruffy will choose the moment I'm taking pictures to sit right on top!
Required kitty helping shot :)



The second project for today is the one knocked very quickly.  Being sick enough to not want to be active, but not so sick that I could just laze about and not move at all, I settled in on the couch with White Collar (seasons 1 and 2 are both on Netflix Instant Watch!) and this scarf.

The yarn is Hometown USA again, this time in the Lake Tahoe colorway.  We took a vacation up there a couple years ago, so I do have some connection to the name.  Between weather and stress and timing, though, it wasn't really my favorite trip, so nothing really sentimental.  Honestly, I just really loved the color :)  It's rich blue with tweedy hints of green and purple. 
Icon Scarf

The pattern is the Icon Scarf by Elizabeth Nields, published in the Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts 2010.  The Icon Scarf.  Dorky little me, however, kept reading it in my head as the Ionic scarf.  I don't know if it's too many years of Latin or too many years in science labs, but Ionic just stuck in my head for this one.  As a result, I refer to this as the Column Scarf.  It's leaning toward the Latin 'Ionic' reference, and the long, thin scarf just seems to fit a column, so I think it works :)  The pattern is pretty easy to memorize, but the cable twist row does get a little fiddly.  Not that it's an impossible, physics-defying sort of knitting move, but it does take a little to get the hang of two cable needles going in opposite directions.  At least it did for me.  

The two pictures below each have their purpose:  show the colors (left) and the pattern (right).

better idea of colors  Icon Scarf blocking

Other than that, I wouldn't make this in acrylic again.  It did open up a little with blocking, but a natural fiber would have opened up more, to show off the laciness inside the cable. Yes, I do know that.  Yes, I used the acrylic yarn anyway.  Still, I am pretty satisfied with the final project, and I knocked it out in a weekend, so who can complain?  :)

It's raveled here.


And in case you were wondering, yes, I'm writing about scarves in Texas in May, where it is in the low 90s this week.  

No comments: