This is actually one of my most favorite scarves that I've made. I made two scarves out of this mohair, one for me and one for Mom. I don't know if she wears hers as much as I do, but I love mine! I love it with my denim or my corduroy jacket, since it's a nice lacy, fluffy contrast.
Another summer project from my summer abroad :) There was a lovely little craft store behind the back of Christ's College where I was studying that had yarn in there, along with all the embroidery and cross-stitch supplies. Some really nice yarn and patterns, too, and a very friendly staff. Also there was a wonderful little 1 pound bin of yarn! Lots of ends of dye-lots and things like that. Amongst the yarn I got from that bin were two balls of white mohair. The shawl I was working on that summer was getting big by that point, and I was needing a small portable project for the trips our program was taking over the weekends, s0 this was perfect!
Using the lace pattern from the purple shawl as a starting point (the shawl itself is from Vogue Knitting On the Go: Vintage Knits), I worked up the 2 scarves, one ball each. The yarn I found was Papillon Luxury Mohair, which is unfortunately now discontinued. If you're looking for an equivalent, it's a nylon/wool/mohair blend which came in 109 yd skeins. One of those simple knit-until-the-yarn's-done projects!
Like I said, I love this scarf. Even several years later, it still takes me back to that summer and the fun I had travelling about the UK working on it. Isn't that a wonderful thing about knitting projects, how they can take you back to the time that you were working on it? Memories knit into the stitches :)
Another summer project from my summer abroad :) There was a lovely little craft store behind the back of Christ's College where I was studying that had yarn in there, along with all the embroidery and cross-stitch supplies. Some really nice yarn and patterns, too, and a very friendly staff. Also there was a wonderful little 1 pound bin of yarn! Lots of ends of dye-lots and things like that. Amongst the yarn I got from that bin were two balls of white mohair. The shawl I was working on that summer was getting big by that point, and I was needing a small portable project for the trips our program was taking over the weekends, s0 this was perfect!
Using the lace pattern from the purple shawl as a starting point (the shawl itself is from Vogue Knitting On the Go: Vintage Knits), I worked up the 2 scarves, one ball each. The yarn I found was Papillon Luxury Mohair, which is unfortunately now discontinued. If you're looking for an equivalent, it's a nylon/wool/mohair blend which came in 109 yd skeins. One of those simple knit-until-the-yarn's-done projects!
Like I said, I love this scarf. Even several years later, it still takes me back to that summer and the fun I had travelling about the UK working on it. Isn't that a wonderful thing about knitting projects, how they can take you back to the time that you were working on it? Memories knit into the stitches :)

2 comments:
What a nice story attached to this scarf! These little projects are lovely.
Lovely scarf and such a good backstory, too. I think all the memories that stay with our handwork is one of the nicest parts of our work.
Post a Comment