Well, I was supposed to be in Vegas this weekend. Back in the summer, Zach and I had planned to be in Vegas for a pair of races that I wanted to run, and that he may or may not do with me. Instead, we are here, him on duty and me working, both at the office and at the house. I think it's for the best that I stayed here, but that doesn't make it any easier :\
The Las Vegas Santa Run is a 5K run each year in Vegas to benefit a local assisted living shelter for mentally handicapped adults. It's also Vegas' entry into the Guinness Book category for largest gathering of Santas. There's also a city in Australia, one in Italy, and a few in the UK who enter each year - those are the ones I remember off the top of my head, at any rate. So, had we entered, we'd have been Guinness Book participants, run a fun 5K, helped a local charity, and earned our own Santa Suit (part of your race registration!). Totally worth it!
The R&R Vegas Half and Full Marathons (I was going to do the half) are another part of the Rock & Roll series of races. Since we're only a few hours away, this was going to be my fall quarter motivational race. Remember, that's how I use the long races - about 1 a quarter, something long-term to keep me running. This would've been the one to keep me moving from Sept to Dec.
Yes, running both races would've been a busy weekend, but it would've been fun. And I've run more in a weekend. The Shamrock races in VB (my very first 1/2 marathon!) have a special award if you run the 8K on Saturday and then the half or full marathons on Sunday. It's called the Whale or Dolphin Challenge (yes, you can tell we're a beach town). You get a special certificate, and besides, it helps me to get out and stretch my legs a little on the day before a race (like walking all over Phoenix before the half in January!). Both years I ran the Shamrock, I did the Dolphin Challenge, and the second year I did the combo, I actually got my best time on the half! So, running a slow 5K in a Santa suit would've been a fun warm-up for the half the next day.
And any rate, it's not as crazy as the Disney World race combination. Their full and half marathons are on back to back days, instead of the same day, so running both earns you the Goofy Medal. 39.3 miles in a weekend is a little much for me right now, so more power too 'em! I'll stick with a 5 or 8K instead if I'm gonna do a back-to-back weekend.
Well, this fall did NOT go as planned. Lots of turn-over at work, lots of really long days for me, and as a result, I think I've run once this past month. Not good. Add to it that Zach's work has been crazy-busy as well (again, hit by moves and end up being short-staffed too) and then he gets put on duty this weekend and can't come anyway... well, it just didn't work out.
And I know that everyone over the course of their running careers will have races that they really want to go to but cannot for whatever reason. I know that if I tried to run this one, I'd probably hurt myself, and it's better in the long run to stay home with Zach (actually SEE my husband - crazy idea that!) and get stuff done around the apartment. I know that we made a good choice here, and it has been a productive weekend (Christmas boxes getting ready to go out!), but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.
Well, soon I'll be looking at 2010 and trying to plan out what races I want to use to motivate my lazy butt next year! That'll honestly probably have to wait til after we get orders, because after January, I've no idea where we'll be!! Hard to plan a race schedule that way :)
The Las Vegas Santa Run is a 5K run each year in Vegas to benefit a local assisted living shelter for mentally handicapped adults. It's also Vegas' entry into the Guinness Book category for largest gathering of Santas. There's also a city in Australia, one in Italy, and a few in the UK who enter each year - those are the ones I remember off the top of my head, at any rate. So, had we entered, we'd have been Guinness Book participants, run a fun 5K, helped a local charity, and earned our own Santa Suit (part of your race registration!). Totally worth it!
The R&R Vegas Half and Full Marathons (I was going to do the half) are another part of the Rock & Roll series of races. Since we're only a few hours away, this was going to be my fall quarter motivational race. Remember, that's how I use the long races - about 1 a quarter, something long-term to keep me running. This would've been the one to keep me moving from Sept to Dec.
Yes, running both races would've been a busy weekend, but it would've been fun. And I've run more in a weekend. The Shamrock races in VB (my very first 1/2 marathon!) have a special award if you run the 8K on Saturday and then the half or full marathons on Sunday. It's called the Whale or Dolphin Challenge (yes, you can tell we're a beach town). You get a special certificate, and besides, it helps me to get out and stretch my legs a little on the day before a race (like walking all over Phoenix before the half in January!). Both years I ran the Shamrock, I did the Dolphin Challenge, and the second year I did the combo, I actually got my best time on the half! So, running a slow 5K in a Santa suit would've been a fun warm-up for the half the next day.
And any rate, it's not as crazy as the Disney World race combination. Their full and half marathons are on back to back days, instead of the same day, so running both earns you the Goofy Medal. 39.3 miles in a weekend is a little much for me right now, so more power too 'em! I'll stick with a 5 or 8K instead if I'm gonna do a back-to-back weekend.
Well, this fall did NOT go as planned. Lots of turn-over at work, lots of really long days for me, and as a result, I think I've run once this past month. Not good. Add to it that Zach's work has been crazy-busy as well (again, hit by moves and end up being short-staffed too) and then he gets put on duty this weekend and can't come anyway... well, it just didn't work out.
And I know that everyone over the course of their running careers will have races that they really want to go to but cannot for whatever reason. I know that if I tried to run this one, I'd probably hurt myself, and it's better in the long run to stay home with Zach (actually SEE my husband - crazy idea that!) and get stuff done around the apartment. I know that we made a good choice here, and it has been a productive weekend (Christmas boxes getting ready to go out!), but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.
Well, soon I'll be looking at 2010 and trying to plan out what races I want to use to motivate my lazy butt next year! That'll honestly probably have to wait til after we get orders, because after January, I've no idea where we'll be!! Hard to plan a race schedule that way :)

No comments:
Post a Comment