So... success! And frustration!
First, the background: I have been trying to lose weight since the spring. I had lost about 11 pounds in SC before moving out here, which put me back solidly in my healthy weight range (instead of 5-10 lbs over) and then I got married....
Living with Zach and moving out to the inhospitable middle of nowhere rather combined to reverse all weight loss that had happened in SC before the wedding. A husband with a high metabolism eats about 3 times as much as I do, which I had to learn the hard way. So, eating habits changed drastically - not foods, thankfully (we still eat pretty healthily), just portion sizes. And living somewhere where you don't want to be outside or moving for about 5 months of the year really puts a kink in your workout routine when you're used to running outside.
All of that combined in '08 to completely negate all my weight loss in '07, and even packed on just a few pounds more.
I was not amused.
So, in the spring when a Weight Watchers group started up on post, I was excited and joined up again. I had lost the weight before with WW, so knew it worked for me (am really not the type to do well denying myself certain foods - people successful on things like Atkins totally amaze me). Not touting any particular weight loss program here, just saying what worked for me.
And the weight is coming back down. Yay! Am almost back down to what I weighed when we moved out here, putting me within 10 pounds of my overall weight loss goal. Am well pleased.
However! Here's the frustration:
As most of you probably already know, WW is based on daily points targets, a goal for food intake for each day. It's all based on what you weigh currently (the heavier you are, the more your body needs to fuel itself), how active you are, what your age is (the older you are, the slower the metabolism), etc. As you lose weight, WW will regularly prompt you to recalculate your daily points needs, so that you can continue to lose weight.
Well, in one day, I had a birthday and lost a pound according to my weekly weigh-in. The two together meant that my daily point goal went from 22 to 20. I lost 2 points in a day!! I'm sure that doesn't sound like much but really, that's a lot!!! That's a whole snack that I now have to find a lower-point option on!
So, yay! am losing weight, but gah! am losing points!!!
And yes, Zach was more amused than sympathetic at my reaction to my new daily points target. Bah, I say!
I'll leave you now with a picture of my weight-loss cheering section and his ice cream bowl. :)
First, the background: I have been trying to lose weight since the spring. I had lost about 11 pounds in SC before moving out here, which put me back solidly in my healthy weight range (instead of 5-10 lbs over) and then I got married....
Living with Zach and moving out to the inhospitable middle of nowhere rather combined to reverse all weight loss that had happened in SC before the wedding. A husband with a high metabolism eats about 3 times as much as I do, which I had to learn the hard way. So, eating habits changed drastically - not foods, thankfully (we still eat pretty healthily), just portion sizes. And living somewhere where you don't want to be outside or moving for about 5 months of the year really puts a kink in your workout routine when you're used to running outside.
All of that combined in '08 to completely negate all my weight loss in '07, and even packed on just a few pounds more.
I was not amused.
So, in the spring when a Weight Watchers group started up on post, I was excited and joined up again. I had lost the weight before with WW, so knew it worked for me (am really not the type to do well denying myself certain foods - people successful on things like Atkins totally amaze me). Not touting any particular weight loss program here, just saying what worked for me.
And the weight is coming back down. Yay! Am almost back down to what I weighed when we moved out here, putting me within 10 pounds of my overall weight loss goal. Am well pleased.
However! Here's the frustration:
As most of you probably already know, WW is based on daily points targets, a goal for food intake for each day. It's all based on what you weigh currently (the heavier you are, the more your body needs to fuel itself), how active you are, what your age is (the older you are, the slower the metabolism), etc. As you lose weight, WW will regularly prompt you to recalculate your daily points needs, so that you can continue to lose weight.
Well, in one day, I had a birthday and lost a pound according to my weekly weigh-in. The two together meant that my daily point goal went from 22 to 20. I lost 2 points in a day!! I'm sure that doesn't sound like much but really, that's a lot!!! That's a whole snack that I now have to find a lower-point option on!
So, yay! am losing weight, but gah! am losing points!!!
And yes, Zach was more amused than sympathetic at my reaction to my new daily points target. Bah, I say!
I'll leave you now with a picture of my weight-loss cheering section and his ice cream bowl. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment