Another case of publicizing my goals, to make it harder to back out :)
I have registered for a marathon. My first.
I know, I'm a little crazy.
It'll be a challenge, obviously, and I'm definitely apprehensive about it, but I think it will be good for me in the long run. I'm writing all this out, to remind myself why I'm doing this. So, here goes:
I have registered for a marathon. My first.
I know, I'm a little crazy.
It'll be a challenge, obviously, and I'm definitely apprehensive about it, but I think it will be good for me in the long run. I'm writing all this out, to remind myself why I'm doing this. So, here goes:
- I'd like to say I've done at least one marathon. I do half marathons regularly, and I'd like to say I've tackled the big distance at least once. Might never do it again, but I'd like to say I've done it at least once. One of those lifetime goals, I think!
- I didn't like running out here last summer (seriously, who likes running in the desert in summer?) So, maybe training for 5 months until a race on May 31 will get the workout schedule ingrained in me enough that when the weather heats up and work gets crazy again I'll be able to keep with it over those months. At least, I'm hoping so! I felt very fat and out of shape at the end of last summer (when it was finally cool enough to have rational thought again), because I hadn't been doing much active. I don't want to repeat that this summer, so having some races on my schedule will help me get through that.
- It will be good for marking time here on post. This is not anywhere near the top 100 places I would like to live, and having another way to mark time passing will be good for me. Things always sneak up faster when you stay busy, or when you don't feel prepared for them. This marathon will probably involve both of those :) I'll see time pass as I mark off runs on my training plan, and the end of May will sneak up quickly because no matter how much I train, I'll still feel a bit unprepared for my first!
I've chosen the San Diego Rock & Roll for my first marathon. I've done the VB R&R Half twice now (my 3rd will be this year) and the AZ R&R this year. I like them. They are big races, I know, with the downsides that come with that (lines at the portojohns, crowded parking, etc), but they are typically well run. I think it'll be a good race to start with. There's plenty going on along the course, so I'll have lots to keep me distracted - bands, cheering squads, scenic courses, lots of bystanders cheering... lots to help those miles pass by. Plus, I've never been to San Diego, and it's only about 4 hrs away from here. Figure if I'm gonna do this race, I should do it now while I'm close, right?
Even better, I've found a friend on post who's doing it too, so I won't be suffering through on my own. Well, I don't know if we're the same pace running, so I might be suffering through the miles on my own, but at least the before and after won't be all alone :)
Wish me luck!
Even better, I've found a friend on post who's doing it too, so I won't be suffering through on my own. Well, I don't know if we're the same pace running, so I might be suffering through the miles on my own, but at least the before and after won't be all alone :)
Wish me luck!

No comments:
Post a Comment