Friday, August 22, 2008

Ravelympics and other knitting

So, time for the weekly (or thereabouts) knitting update :)

Actually, I haven't been posting much because of knitting and work this week. We're a little short staffed right now at my facility (like most places here on post - we just don't have the biggest available workforce here in the middle of the desert). Anyway, it means I've been working CRAZY hours to fill in gaps in the schedule (recreational facility, so always have to have 2 people on duty at all times, for First Aid purposes, etc). But today's Friday, so I'll have a few days to sleep now! Woohoo! In my spare time, I've been trying to knit - partly for the Ravelympics, partly as an attempt to try to keep hold of my sanity in the midst of working 60 hour weeks. Here are the fruits of my labors :)

First up - Mt. Tea-fort.

Scruffy inspects the final project

Sorry I don't have a tea pot of my own to model it on, but it is a tea cozy (there's a slit up the side, if you can't tell). Yes, I know it's a brown lump - it's supposed to be! The big mountain on post is called Mt. Tiefort, and when I was talking to Anne about Knit Wits' tea cozy auction for charity, she thought I was saying Tea-fort (it's pronounced the same as the mountain). So, thus the idea was born to knit up a little miniature mountain as a tea cozy. I'll post the pattern eventually, when I get around to writing it down. Took me pretty much 3 starts to this project before it was close to what I wanted it to be. I know it's not particularly decorative, but it's silly, and it was very therapeutic for me. Well, not the 3 starts, but overall it was good to make something silly and cute related to living in this horrible desert. In a bit, I'll make a bigger one to act as a cover for my electric tea kettle, so Zach and I will have one too :)

And you have no idea how hard it was to find desert-esque buttons! I never did find coyote buttons like I wanted to (we have lots of coyotes on post), and had to settle for armadillos instead. Still, the 'dillos are very cute :) The cacti buttons actually had to be ordered off eBay - even online, the only place I could find cacti buttons! Still, the buttons give it a nice touch :)

buttons on the other side too

Then, Ravelympics knitting - I finished my Hat Dash project, Odessa. And I earned my first Ravelympics 'medal' too - check out Bobicus below :)

hat dash

Very cute hat! I just wish it wasn't 200 degrees outside, and actually cold enough to wear hats instead ;) It was my first time knitting with beads. Aside from the tedium of stringing 150 beads onto the yarn before you begin, knitting with beads it really easy!

new hat!

I really like this pattern. Knit up very quickly, and cute to boot!

Odessa top view Odessa

My next Ravelympics project I doubt I'll finish in the Olympics time-span. I have spent too much time at work or with Mt Tea-fort over the past week or so. Still, I'll finish the scarf to match Odessa soon, though, whether I get the medal or not. I still have a bunch of beads left over from Odessa, and I'm debating making a pearl border for the scarf, so that the hat and scarf match more closely. We'll see if I can figure out an easy way to do it :)

No comments: